Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Assessment of Re-Work on Squier Strat Standard Thus Far:

(1) The guitar neck is beautifully polished, making the frets seem larger and more luxurious.

(2) Unfortunately, the guitar resonance overall is dull (my son calls it "mushy"). All of the over-tones are still there, but much softer than I'd like. This might be attributed to either the mixing of finishes or the type of glue used in the fretting. I'm not sure just how resonant superglue is. I'm also not sure how practical it is, since one fret already popped out and had to be re-glued.

(3) I left some file marks on the rosewood neck that I'd like not to have left.

(4) The guitar finish is beautifully ugly, as I'd hoped it would be. [See earlier post.]

(5) I'd probably be happier with pickups that picked up more mid-range tones.

(6) I've noticed that playing certain types of music seems to come easier if the guitar's fretboard radius is set for that kind of music. For instance, some of Stevie Ray Vaughn's songs seem to come easier on guitar fretboards that have a narrower radius like 7.25-11 inches; Van Halen's music, on the other hand, seems to play easier on guitars with fretboards having more of a flat radius. It seems like this should be logical to me, and I wonder why I didn't automatically know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment