Sunday, June 27, 2010

I've removed the old frets, heating them first and then pulling them with my homemade fret pullers. The fret slots were cleaned, and both width and depth checked and changed if needed. Now I'm sanding the fretboard. I want to get a nice compound radius shape so, hopefully, it will be easy to play chords and also easy to play runs and everything else. I also want to spread the string spacing out at the nut so that my fingers don't tangle. [I studied classical guitar in college -- classical guitars have a "flat" radius.] I'm using the short blocks with the radii 10-inch, 12-inch, 14-inch, and 16-inch to do this.

Dan Erlewine's book instructs that I should feather the fretboard out in between blocks. I have the neck off the guitar body. The neck is bolted and fastened down on a jig I made for working on necks (so they won't move). I've also made my own straight-edge (when I sight down it, it looks straight, anyway). I've been sanding a little and then measuring a little, and it seems to take forever. After several hours, I finally seem to be getting there. My radius is better. I do hope I'm not sanding the fretboard through, but I can't clearly see the difference between the maple fretboard and the actual maple neck. I guess that's a tribute to the manufacturer.

No comments:

Post a Comment