Monday, June 28, 2010

Today I am installing frets. I've cut the individual frets and stuck each one in a piece of styrofoam labeled with the fret number. The frets have been pre-bent to the approximate radius needed with the ends bent just a little more. I use epoxy glue in accordance with Dan Erlewine's recommendation in his Guitar Player Repair Guide. I wax around the fret slots, mix and lay down some epoxy glue, hammer in the frets, clean off the excess glue, and clamp the frets that don't hold right away. I have made some cauls for the frets, per Mr. Erlewine's book, with two dowels and plexiglas squares on either side. The cauls seem to work as intended. I made a bunch of them and am now glad I did because I am using every one. I can only get half the neck done today because I'm running out of clamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment