Friday, August 20, 2010

Summary of work past three days:
  • I replaced the homemade bridge with a standard six-screw tremolo bridge (probably from China) and then replaced those saddles with Dimarzio saddles.
  • I made a new graphite nut using my feeler gauge slotting files and the nut seating files.
  • I replaced the two metal gull-wing string retainers with the graphite versions to help the guitar stay in tune when using the vibrato bar.
  • I shielded the guitar control cavity and bottom of the pickguard, using thin copper sheets to line each portion and then soldering them together. This was a lot of work. I wonder if it would have been just as effective to use the shielding paint.

Today I'm planning to replace the pots, switch, and wiring. I will use star grounding. I guess I'll reinstall the old pickups, although they are not very strong, and their tone seems conspicuously absent of mid-range tones.

1 comment:

  1. Rusty, This is the third time I have tried to put this into your blog. I guess I don't know what I am doing. I have read through your whole blog and you have done a lot of research which is obvious. Even though I did not understand it, it was interesting. I would think other guitarists would find it helpful.

    ReplyDelete