Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Working on frets again today. I've clipped the fret ends with ground-down 8-inch nippers, clipping them as close as I could. I am a little apprehensive that the nippers will pull the frets in spite of the epoxy glue. Now I'm using both of the fret leveling files (3-inch/6-inch) I made to bevel the edges. This works pretty well. Maybe I won't have to buy a specialized beveler later. The frets look good after the beveling. Sighting down the neck, though, I'm not sure that the frets are all the same height. Some luthiers say that they can look down the neck and point out the "proud" frets, i.e., any frets sticking up higher than the others. I am not able to do that yet. I do not understand how one fret could be higher than another. It seems to me that each fret shoulder should sit right on the fretboard --so shouldn't they all be the same height?

No comments:

Post a Comment