Friday, June 25, 2010

I sent off an order to Stewart-MacDonald for fret wire #150 (their highest and widest), understring radius gauges, fretboard radius standing blocks 4-inch, and a fretting hammer. I also started making my own tools per Dan Erlewine's book, Guitar Player Repair Guide. The first tools I made were 6-inch/3-inch fret leveling files, fret-slot saws, fret-bending pliers, a structure that would hold the bolt-on neck in place and absorb the hammer blows, fret levelers in different lengths (for use with sandpaper), and fingerboard levelers (I bought some roll sandpaper at the local Lowe's).

I decided that for guitar nuts I would like to have a nut file for each string gauge (width). I know all the experts (book authors and store owners) say you only need a few needle files, and that if the string slot needs to be bigger, you just rock the file back and forth as you file; however, I really want to have a nut file of the exact dimension for each string. [Maybe this says something about my lack of skill at this point.] Anyway, I've gotten auto feeler gauges of every 0.001-inch (not metric yet), and I'm filing triangular indentions into each of them so that they'll work for files. I make deeper indentions on the other side so that they can also work as saws. So far I've tried them on graphite, plastic, and bone, and they work fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment