Friday, April 22, 2011

I've been playing this guitar the past few days. I like the fretboard radius and the general feel of the instrument. The intonation is off -- a lot -- and I've re-set it as close to right as I can by ear. The tremolo bridge has a slight angle five to ten degrees, I'd guess. The notes, both open string and fretted, have a slight buzzed or blurry sound, not ringing out clearly. I wonder if the buzz will go away if I level the bridge, or should I angle it backwards? I check the truss rod and notice that the neck is almost perfectly straight. I loosen it just a bit to give a slight relief. The notes still sound unclear, but I like the general feel of the guitar in spite of that. I also like the shade of the finish.

Right now the guitar has basically been restored at a simplistic level and looks pretty good. If I were just restoring this guitar, I would never do this, but I'm thinking of refretting it. (These frets are too skinny, anyway.) I'll spend some more time playing this guitar just to be sure that's what I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment