Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Playing this guitar, I can already tell that I love it! The fretboard just feels good, although I don't know exactly why. With all the wood I removed from the cutaway, I can look down and see the complete fretboard just like I want for my dream guitar. All the harmonics and overtones sound out really well. The instrument sustains as well as any Gibson I've ever had (and I've had several over the years). The strings are still high on the nut, so I can't do the acrobatics I can do on some of the Strats. I don't know what I'd lose, if anything, if I lowered the strings. I wish there was some way I could measure these characteristics that I like.

A drawback I see right away is that the guitar tends to just slide right off my lap. I guess this is because it is actually being played upside down! If I put the body between my legs like a classical guitar, though, it's okay. Also, my elbow seems to change the volume pot, tone pot, and selector switch; I'll have to get used to that. The tremolo bar, if I get one that fits, will be on top rather than on bottom. I've installed five springs on the tremolo, which helps it to adjust the way I want. Right now, when I bend notes a whole step, the open "E" goes flat that same whole step. This could be greatly improved, I think, if I work on the set-up, but, once again, I'm a little afraid that I'd lose those beautiful harmonics and clear notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment