Thursday, December 16, 2010

I replaced the two broken tuners with the individual tuners I ordered from Stewart-MacDonald and filled in the old tuner screw-holes that were visible. I had searched all the local music stores for individual tuners and collected all the used or broken ones they would sell or give me. I quickly discovered that the tuners I needed were "R" tuners and that all of the ones I had collected were "L" tuners. Apparently, when facing the guitar with the guitar headstock up, the tuners sticking out on the right side are "R" tuners, and tuners sticking out on the left side are "L" tuners. Turns out I needed "R" tuners, and all I had were "L" tuners. Funny...none of the music stores could order individual "R" or "L" tuners for me. I guess they must not get their stock from Stew-Mac.

After replacing the tuners, I strung and set up the guitar. Then I played it for several hours. Except for the frets being too low, it plays great and seems really solid in spite of all the wood I removed at the beginning. If this had been the first guitar I worked on instead of the fifth, I probably would have taken much more wood off the cutaways of the other guitars based on the success of this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment