Sunday, October 3, 2010

Today I've been reshaping the fretboard of this guitar. The guitar neck is bolted down on the jig so it won't move. I know -- now -- to adjust the truss rod level before I start, but this neck doesn't seem to adjust like other guitar necks on which I've worked. It moves a tiny bit, but no more, so I get it as close as I can. I am using two three-foot levelers I've made out of oak (3 feet X 3.5 inches X 0.75 inches) and leveled according to a good straight-edge. The grit on one leveler is about #40; the other one is #80. I'm also using a two-foot steel leveler. The effective edge on this one is one inch, and the grit is #220.

It seems like I've been sanding forever, and it still doesn't come out right. I notice that the truss rod is high on this guitar and comes out so high on the headstock that it is easy to see that it has been routed and installed on the lower half of the actual fretboard instead of the upper half of the neck. I'm afraid that I will accidentally sand through to the rod, but I carefully keep going. Finally it's about as right as I can make it, flatter with a slight compound radius.

Uh-oh! I'm just now realizing that at the heel it looks like the rosewood fretboard is thicker on the treble side than it is on the bass side. Checking the nut end, it is still thicker on the treble side. I measure with a digital caliper to be sure; according to the measurement, it is off several one-thousandths of an inch. Now I'm wondering how in the world that happened. I know the neck was level on the jig.

No comments:

Post a Comment