Saturday, July 17, 2010

While the guitar body is being clear-coated, I tried painting the chrome hardware a gold color, thinking gold would coordinate better than chrome with the emerald green of the body. This has not worked very well. I tried Testors gold model paint, gold leaf foil paint, and regular gold spray paint. No matter how long I let any of the paints dry, when I smoothed it down later with steel wool, it just flaked off. I'm sure it is possible to paint the hardware, but I have yet to find the right type of paint or technique.

I brush-painted the headstock to match the body finish. Three coats of the Auto-Air emerald green paint, then clear-coating, were applied after removal of the original finish (however, I'm not sure if I remembered to put primer on first...).

I spray-painted the old pickguard, knobs, and pickup rings to match the body finish, using an airbrush and Createx Air Brush paint. So far this paint seems to have bonded easily with the plastic and looks really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment