Thursday, July 29, 2010

I removed Old Biscuit's old frets, heating them first and then pulling them with my homemade fret yankers. The fret slots were cleaned, and both width and depth were checked and changed if necessary. Today I am reshaping and compounding the fretboard. Many of the Squier Strats were made with a radius between 9 and 10 inches, and I think Old Biscuit is one of those (per my radius gauges from Stew-Mac). I plan to compound this fretboard to about 12 inches at the nut to 16 inches where the neck meets the body. This will take about four hours. I hope to be able to cut this time drastically in the future. At first I try the radius block sequence, but after an hour I go to the levelers. At first I used my longest levelers and my heaviest grits, but now I've gone to lighter grits, but not past #400. The neck is bolted to my jig for this process.

No comments:

Post a Comment